Let’s start with your mind-set. Lighten up. People make cold calling disagreeable when they use the call itself to sell. The reason to cold call is to learn whether it makes sense to communicate further. In my experience a bright and breezy cold call can be pleasant for both parties if you adhere to the following rules:
1. Be prepared. The most common mistake is to assume you’ll get voice mail. When you actually connect with a human being, you fumble the call because you’re not ready.
2. Be real. Act as if this is someone you already know so that your voice takes on a more natural quality.
3. Listen. Actively listen and take notes.
4. Keep your energy up. Energy is attractive. Induce it if you have to with chocolate, hot tea, lit candles, whatever works for you.
5. Never push too hard. Speaks for itself.